Monday, July 6, 2009

"Melt" - Felted Rug/Wall Art Piece

My recent creation. What I was going for was - something wild, natural, definitely not perfect. So I went ahead into my stash and found some washed fleece, roving, bits of hand-spun yarn and silk fibre. I have no idea what kind of wool was it, but it felted so easily, it felt like corriedale or something similar. Didn't have a clear idea of what it was going to be, but I knew in the process it will become something that was deep inside me and wants to be expressed. I didn't think much on the colour, just knew it from the beginning it has to be blue and I also knew that it won't all be the same colour since wool and silk take dye differently so there will be some colour variegation. When the piece was all dried and ready I hung it on the wall and looked at it. The first thing that entered my mind was - melting ice, glacier. Climate change is a very hot topic recently and I've been thinking about it a lot, so I think that was the thought behind it all that my hands created listening to my inner voice. Size 22"x55" (55cmx137cm).


3 comments:

  1. Hi Olga, I like this organic piece - the texture is great. It is good to listen to your inner voice, i think it makes your work more valuable. Also I like the information you have shared here with all of us, interesting what is going on in the world about the the new felt is using. I like to follow your blog, Dorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorie, thank you very much ! I'm glad you found something interesting for yourself here. Welcome ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the variations in color and texture. what a beautiful, subtle piece!

    ReplyDelete