Monday, September 28, 2009

Preparation for Felt United Day October 3rd PART 1

If you've been following my blog, not long ago I wrote a post about Felt United Day, which is going to be October 3rd 2009. Feltmakers around the world are celebrating this day by exhibiting their works, making demonstrations to public etc. Here in Houston local feltmakers are bringing their feltworks to Houston Center for Contemporary Craft and will display it in the community garden, so If you're local make sure to stop by and check it out.
At first when I learned about this event I knew for sure I wanted to do something, just wasn't sure what exactly. So finally, a few days ago I got an idea, but for now I'll just hold that thought. Back home we don't tell details until it's completely done, just for good luck...I guess it's a Russian thing. For my installation I'm using raw fleece, which came straight from the sheep with all the extra "good stuff", you know what I mean... I love the organic and natural look you can achieve with raw stuff. Today I've been washing it, about 6lbs so far ( I think I chose the dirtiest fleece possible, but who said life is easy ?) and dyeing in the colours from the colour wheel slice from yellow to red, that's the only requirement. I'm using all the local fleece, by that I mean from USA sheep growers. Merino and merinoXcorriedale are from Colorado and I also have some mohair locks and rambouillet from Texas. I'm trying to use my stash, which grows constantly and out of control, so I got the perfect project for that and I'm thinking not a small scale too, at least that's the picture in my head, hopefully I can get there.

2 comments: